Link Building: Know when to Hold ’em, Know when to Fold ’em
- Take advantage of blogger outreach and social media to increase the value of links.
- Distribute link filled content through blogs and articles directories.
- Guest Wog on relevant sites.
- Create a contest. Web contests can generate thousands of quality links.
- Develop sites that are relevant to the site you want links to
- Embed content rich infographics
- Establish local links from a library, or the local chamber of commerce.
- Download a content aggregator widget.
- Balance out root and deep links 1-in-3 links should lead to deep pages.
- Develop a separate email account for managing link campaigns.
- Generate content that is easy to digest to create interest among a diverse group.
- Create your own topical directory which will link to your site, and deeplink to relevant content.
- Concentrate link building efforts with mass instantiated tactics.
- Embed the same group of finks in multiple pieces of content.
- Have large amounts of grammatical and spelling errors in content.
- Use the same anchor text over and over.
- Disregard free resources such as Yahoo!Answers, Google Groups, etc.
- Link several times to the same page in one article.
- Link to your homepage in excess of relevancy on content postings.
- Submit 10,000 directory links the day your site goes live.
- Build thousands of links to index.php and 0 to the rest of the site.
- Create a separate email account to make an alias and spam the web.
- Spend a day building links, then don’t follow up for 30 days.
- Spam sites with content via comment boxes.
Top SEO Ranking Factors
- Proper keyword use in Title Tags
- Proper anchor Text of Inbound links
- Popularity of linking site
- Popularity of your site
- Maturity of linking site
- Popularity of link with the site’s internal link structure
- Linking site’s content relevance to your site
- Link popularity of site in niche
- Proper use of keywords within body text
Top Open Link Building Sources
- Niche Forums
- Niche Directories
- Media Lists
- Answer Sites
- Topical Networks
- Bookmarking Sites
- Topic Aggregators
- Blogging Networks
- Social Media
Vital SEO Components for Link Building*
Page level link metrics – 21.45%
Domain level link authority features – 21.13%
Page level keyword usage – 14.93%
Domain level keyword usage – 10.73%
Page level social metrics – 7.22%
Domain level brand metrics – 6.74%
Page level keyword agnostic features – 6.74%
Page travel traffic / query data – 6.26%
Domain level keyword agnostic features – 4.92%
*Based on an SEOMoz 2011 Survey of search engine marketors.
Link Building Strategies To Fold On
Automated Reciprocal Linking: there has been less value put on link exchanges for search engines.
Buying Link from Link Farms and Automated Systems: too many links built at one time with the exact anchor text can be viewed as spam by search engines.
Submitting Your Site to Multiple Paid Directories: inferior directories send to traffic and sell off cookies cutter links.
In Your Signature File List Hundreds of Web Sites: this will be perceived as a spam aggregator for search engines.
Only Post Original Content When you Can Add Links to Your Site: original content should be posted regularly to keep legitimacy.
Posting Comments on Other Blogs With a Link to Your Site: most people won’t read this and it won’t be validated by search engines.